Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Favorite Curly-Edged Leafy Green...Kale


Kale is a superfood and that belongs to the same plant vegetable family as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and collard greens.This curly-edged leafy green is protecting your health and providing a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It ranks high in terms of its large amount of antioxidant vitamins of K, A, and C, as well as, provides calcium, copper and potassium.

Kale can be stored in the refrigerator (unwashed) for up to five-days. If you wash it before you use it a couple days ahead, it will spoil much sooner. If you have not cooked with it, it is easy to clean. You want to make sure that you remove the rib from the leaves (the center stem). Then you can wash and cut/chop as per the way you would like to serve it.

Over the past several months we have been eating kale in a variety of ways. One of our family favorites is Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup. The link will take you directly to my other love...cooking.

I started a blog called Our Table of 4. It is a collection of recipes that we enjoy cooking in our home...all four of us. I started Our Table of 4 because I love the food blog...Foodbuzz. Once I saw all the recipes, I wanted to share with other cooks and the rest is history. The beauty of this group of cooks is that you can search any type of item and a series of recipes will appear. For example, if you want to search for kale...sweet potatoes...you will find it and then will be exposed to a variety of cooks who are sharing because of their love of food as well. It is addicting.

We have tried so many great recipes from cooks all over the world and have learned new techniques. In all honesty, if you check out my food blog, I have not updated it in a while, which I know I am long over due...but I looked at the date of my last entry and it was shortly before my oldest daughter became very sick...and then life took over. But you know what...it has not stopped me from taking photographs of the different recipes that we have been making. I will start updating it and hopefully you will enjoy "experimenting" and trying our family recipes.  

2 comments:

  1. Yummo!
    I think I will make that tomorrow night for my crew!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just love it. You will have to let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete