Thursday, July 19, 2012

Olympic Love

Opening ceremonies for the Olympics start on July 27 and we are super pumped! It does not matter whether it is the summer or winter Olympics...our family is there rooting on the athletes, the countries and just the all around spirit of the Olympics.

Growing up my family would gather in the evenings and watch the Olympics together. We popped popcorn, sat on our giant pillows and watched opening ceremonies, the events and closing ceremonies. It was a tradition.

Back in the 1980s, I was fortunate to visit the home of the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany (granted I know that there were terrible things that happened that year but it was an education in itself). We also were able to visit the home of the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Several years ago, while on a business trip to Georgia, my husband and I stopped by the location of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, GA. Can you tell I love the Olympics?

In addition to celebrating this event, my husband and I have been sharing with our daughters the location of the countries that are participating, being able to read maps/globes so that the girls can find the location of the athletes home countries, as well as cooking and enjoying various ethnic meals.

To celebrate the love of handmade, below please find an Olympic Treasury of various patriotic themed items that fellow artisans have created.


Top Row

Second Row

Third Row

Fourth Row
Monikah Gallery

What are your favorite sports to cheer on?

No comments:

Post a Comment